Saturday, June 29, 2013

kickstarter: inventing kindergarten


Here's a kickstarter project I urge you to look into. Inventing Kindergarten by Norman Brosterman is one of my most favorite books. It is what clued me in to Frederich Froebel and turned my education focus towards child development and progressive education. The problems that Froebel saw in education 176 years ago have not strayed too far from today's issues. His educational philosophy has had a direct influence on some of our most innovative people in our recent history; Frank Lloyd Wright, Richard Feynman, and Paul Klee to name a few. It is Froebel who brought us building blocks and paper weaving. It is Froebel who made the connection between children and nature, and it is Froebel who demonstrated the concrete learning children obtain from play.

"Play is the highest expression of human development in childhood for it alone is the free expression of what is in a child's soul."

 I am so grateful to Norman Brosterman for writing such a lovely book and am doubly grateful I was able to purchase it the fist time around. When my hardcover copy went missing, I was relieved to find a used one in paperback but those copies are now few and far between. I am proud to say I am able to contribute to this kickstarter fund and encourage you to take a look and see if it interests you. There are only a few days left and he is sadly far from his goal, perhaps we can make a difference and get this book republished. If you have an opportunity to do so, please do and if you have an opportunity to read it, yes, please do! It is that good!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much, Jessica. The original Kindergarten was magical and would return if people recognized was has been lost. We're doing our best on KS and your post will surely help.
    Norman

    ReplyDelete