Friday, June 27, 2014

investigating the lid bin

It took me months to save up enough lids for an impressive lid bin. When I introduced it to the children we were all sitting in our kitchen area enjoying our lunches. I brought out the lids which I placed in a sturdy shallow wicker and wire basket. I held the basket/bin under the table and shook it. I asked the children if they could guess what I had. I did this so long ago I forgot what their guesses were. I placed the bin on top of the table and the children were very excited. Who knew? We talked about the shape of the lids, the various colors and how some of the lids had words on them. I told the children the bin would be in our block area if they would like to investigate and immediately upon finishing lunch they swooped down on it. There was stacking and sorting, nesting and counting, design making and patterning. There was a single purple lid that allowed one of the kiddos to complete a "beautiful lid rainbow". All the busyness and exuberance makes my heart go thumpity-thump.  The children enjoy working with the bin and are extra delighted when they find a cap in their lunch or snack bag. Now we have more than one purple lid for more rainbow making. This is preschool math at its best.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    I was just directed to your blog and wow! You have such a gift for working with the littles!! I am so excited and looking forward to the fall! I know my little guy is going to have such a wonderful year with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At our school we had a key box. The keys had been donated by businesses that made keys but had lots of mistakes they were happy to get rid of. We did lots of sorting with the keys but the kids were fascinated by them and got them out often to play with. Wish we had thought of lids they look like lots of fun! Reminds me of junk boxes from Math Their Way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! A key box sounds amazing! I have a lock and key tray that I put out. I need more. There is always one kiddo who tries to use one of the padlock keys on our door. I love math like this. Thank you for the book title, I'll check it out!

      Delete